1. Do not neglect chronic pain. Recognize pain, investigate it (locate & know the cause), understand and respond to pain.
2. Do not overdo: Exercise is good but strenuous exercise and exercising for long time is undoubtedly hazardous, especially for people with chronic pain. Take-up small stretching exercises initially and with professional advice only move forward.
3. No Alcohol, No Smoking : People initially take smoking & alcohol as "stress-busters", but when addicted, they create additional problems. Smoking reduces the blood circulation, hence aggravates the pain. Alcohol too has adverse effects on health.
4. Sitting position: It is a myth that sitting erect without bending prevents backache. It actually aggravates the pain. "Spine has its own physiologic curve." Let it take its own curve. Do not sit in a monotonous, static position for too long. While sitting on a chair, relax and make sure that your back rests completely on the chair.An orthopaedic chair would definitely be a very good option
5. Mattress: Sleeping mattress also does matter in pain management. Very hard/ very soft mattress is bad for the spine. Use a firm mattress while sleeping & make sure you sleep in a proper position.
6. Bending- Do not bend the back while lifting heavy objects, instead bend the knees. 7. Weight-Over-weight also causes chronic pain conditions; fit body & balanced diet are key tips for pain management. 8. Herbal product Herbal product called "chamomile tea" is a good muscle relaxing and better sleep-providing agent. 1 cup of coffee daily stimulates the brain, but excess coffee is again an aggravating factor of pain.
9. Hot & Cold treatments: For initial stages of pain i.e. within 48 hrs, cold packs are good relieving option as they reduce inflammation. Later hot packs/ hot plates are good option for muscle relaxing procedures.
10. Ergonomics: Occupational pain, is more common now-a-days. Working in a proper way with a right posture is essential. Set the computer at a proper position & comfort level. "Take breaks" while working so that you can avoid monotonous, static positions.
11. Back-support belts can be used to ensure a proper spine position and for supporting the back.
12. Excercise- Deep breathing exercises, meditation & yoga have tremendous relieving effects on chronic pain conditions
13. Keep away from negative thoughts: Never feel that you are the lone sufferer. Mingle with people suffering from similar problems. You get to know useful things and peace of mind!
14. Follow distraction principle: Explore your hobbies. Music soothes! Relaxation & stress-free mind kills half of the pain
15. PMR – Progressive Muscle Relaxation: This is a procedure where you can successively stretch/ taut your muscles and relax them slowly, feeling the relief of stress
16. Visualization: It is another excellent pain relief technique where you can visualize or think of pleasance and soothing experiences. You can visualize that you are presently in a garden full of flowers with birds chirping and feel the flow of water and cool breeze. Imagine and visualize any of your favourite occasion, closing your eyes and you surely can feel your pain flying out.
17. Guided imagery/ Mental Imagery Relaxation: This is another stress-buster and pain reliever. You need to drive your imaginations into a positive, stress-relieving direction. Many researchers say that imagination has very powerful healing capacity. It is a psychological therapy. As the saying goes "It's all in the mind." Throw away / expel pain from your mind.
18. Life style: Proper Lifestyle – proper health.